Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Miracles

Miracles: A Brief Story About a Change in Understanding
          
                As long as I can remember, I've had an extremely skeptical cynicism about the existence of modern day miracles. I mean, don't get me wrong, I haven't doubted what Jesus did, or God did through Peter/Phillip/Paul/etc., but when it comes to the miraculous happening in our present day, I've always been very doubtful. I'm not sure exactly why this is; there is no shortage of mysterious/unexplained occurrences in they lives of my family members, and our family as a whole. My parents journey to New York from California contains some unexplained events of notability (you can ask them about those). My mom's unexplained healing of her back one year before a trip to California is another, but for some reason I can't explain, I've had a very negative attitude toward "modern day miracles" for quite a long time. Now. This was before the night of December 20th, 2010. So here is my story:
          In preparing for my extended South African stay, I've been trying to spend time with various friends who I won't see for a long time. On Monday night I went to a friends house who lives about 20 minutes south of me in the town of Cold Spring New York. It was about 7:30 when I made my ascent up the steep mountain road that leads to his house. It had been very cold, and there was black ice at various places along my journey. I was about half way up the mountain going about 25 MPH, when I hit a large patch of black ice. My car swerved all over the narrow road (thank God it didn't go over the side of the mountain). The steep hill on the right side of the road was at roughly a 60-45 degree incline with respect to the road. My car swerved back across the road and started to go up the incline. At that point I remember thinking in my mind that I wouldn't be able to control the car, and I braced for the imminent flip/crash. I was probably going up the incline for about two seconds, when all of a sudden I was back on the road driving straight up the road. I keep going over it in my mind, trying to remember when I moved the steering wheel back on track, but I can recall no such memory. My only explanation is that there was divine intervention in the form of either my car being moved, or someone taking control of it.
       Now, all that to say is I am now faced with facts I can't deny. I haven't had a radical theological movement, but I've realized several things:
                  1. God MUST intervene in the everyday affairs of men.
                  2. There MUST be some sort of plan for my life that has not yet been realized, because I was spared and did not meet my end when left to myself I would have.
                  3. God IS sovereign, and I can trust him instead of just leaving everything up to myself.

6 comments:

Andrew and Denise said...

Thanks for sharing your miracle... I am amazed at how God does work... I would think that your angels are pretty bruised up...trying to keep that car from turning over...:) God bless you as you continue to prepare for South Africa...God does have a plan for you... I am excited to hear what it is and watch it unfold..and to hear many more miracles..God is in that business....Denise

Andrew and Denise said...

The spiritual world is quite active and many things go on unobserved by mankind, quite like II Kings 6:15-17, I believe miracles are part of the battle that is always at hand in the background, times when Jesus declares and open victory against an evil ploy that Satan's forces have devised. Many believe that this is one of the jobs of the Angels, sounds good to me- I know they are real- even more amazing to me is when I have seen an event before in a hidden vision , and then it comes to pass- just there to remind us that it's not about this life or world but the next infinite everlasting one.
Andrew

L.E. Fiore said...

Amen! I think if we thought about it (or could possibly know) we'd be amazing at the countless ways God is intervening and protecting us. Glad you're OK! Praise God. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Such a great testimony of God's faithfulness and goodness to you! Although I'm not glad your car was out of control, I am very thankful that God was able to personally show you His power. He does have a plan for your life! Praise God!
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Thank you for sharing your story David!
Sarah Cookingham

David Scott Harris said...

It's rather surreal actually, thank you everyone for reading.

Ian Wallin said...

Dave I want to personally welcome you to whatever school of thought it is that believes in present day miracles.