Friday, March 18, 2011

Into the Bush Once More (An Update on the Past Several Weeks)


I have returned once again. First an update on the last few weeks.


In the days closer to my arrival here in South Africa, I was worried about the amount of activity and work here (that there was not a sufficient amount to keep myself busy with). My concern has been proven misplaced. The last several weeks I've been assigned to Sean Mullin and Gabriel Pretorias. They are two great Samaria missionaries who I've learned much from, and have been privileged to work with. We spent two weeks doing work on a drilling rig which we planned on taking 90 km into Mozambique to to drill a well. Unfortunately, despite our efforts, we could not get it ready in time as it still had much work that needed to be done (which we observed when we finally got if fired up). We had other duties to perform at Xchicambane, Mozambique, so we left on Monday morning with the others (Joseph, William, Mark, Kenneth, Derrick, Member). We needed to put in an electric pump, and deliver all the
orphan food to the various villages, while Joseph, Derrick, William, Mark, and Kenneth did the pastoral training (for pastors from the various villages along the Limpopo). I was picked up by Sean on Sunday at 3. We spent the afternoon loading up all the various gear we needed for the trip. At about 6 we were finished and retired to the house. I had heard much at about Aunt Gena's ginger beer, and was offered a glass finally. I readily accepted, though the container looked a bit inflated (see picture).
It had quite a bite to it, and I sat down on the couch and was watching television. A few minutes later I felt like I had put on about 100 kg. I asked for another glass. Aunt Gena said that I had to get off the couch and take a shower before I could have any more. I sat there for 2 & 1/2 hours (I tell this as an informative account of an American's attempt to immerse himself in South African culture). I finally did get off the couch and took a shower, and then went to bed.
     At 5:10, there was a knock on the bedroom door. I quickly got dressed and went out to finish with the last minute packings, and had a cup of tea before hitting the road (I've become quite fond of South African tea). It was about three-four hours before getting the Punda Maria gate (Kruger National Park). Upon arising the weather was quite pleasant and we hoped for it to continue into Mozambique. Upon our arrival into Kruger, we knew it wasn't going to be. After about an hour and a half, we arrived at the Pafuri gate (Mozambique/SA border).
Sean remarked as we entered into Mozambique how it was one of the easiest borders to enter into (and as an former pilot who's flown all over Africa, he would know). We got out of our trucks. It was hot. Very hot. All of our shirts were drenched with sweat as we waited to be processed. It took about 20 minutes, and we were back on our way to Umbuzi. We arrived after about a half hour of driving, and left Mark, William, Member, and Derrick to set up for their stay. I stood by. Joseph looked at me and said: "You say you want to start driving here? Pull my bucky up to that tree." So I did. It was only a few meters, but I was happy to get behind the wheel of any vehicle, as I hadn't in almost 2 months.
     Once again we were on our way again to Xchicambane (a good 60 km from Umbuzi). The trip was relatively uneventful. Because it hadn't rained in a long time, there were no epic puddles to cross through as there had been previously. Not having a working ipod attachment, Sean and I listened to his ipod using a headphone splitter (Journey, Foreigner, and ELO). Somewhere near Matselalie (a good 40 km from Umbuzi), a lizard ran across the road. I almost yelled "is that a dinosaur?!?!", but I was too speechless to say anything. It must have been half a foot high and a meter long!
    We arrived at Xchicambane at around 5:30, and after setting up camp got to work on putting the electric pump in so we'd have water (Xchicambane was once a sort of "base" for Samaria, and has there a church, kitchen, storeroom, two showers, and two bathrooms). It took several hours, and we finished around 7:30. While standing at the pump, a number of locals came around us. One of them started to speak Afrikaans, but I didn't realize it (Afrikaans, Shangaan, it's all foreign to me). After dinner we put some finishing touches on the pump and turned it on, we were able to shower and collect water from underground. I took a nice cool shower, and drifted off to sleep.
     Next morning, I woke up at about 7, and headed to the kitchen for morning tea and rusks (think hard sweet biscuits). Sean came in and started going through the kitchen action packer. He grumbled that the inventory wasn't correct. Joseph came up and asked: "Do any of your action packers have Vaughn on them?". "Of course not!", Sean replied. "Then we have the other guy's food", Joseph retorted. Thus began the long trip back to Umbuzi to deliver the other guy's food to them. I climbed in the landy. Sean said: "You better put that seat belt on". I did. The trip usually takes 2 to 3 hours (depending on road condition). It was 7:30, and it was our goal to get to Umbuzi by 9, which was tea time. I'm not sure if I've had a more exciting ride. Six Flags has nothing on blazing through the Mozambique countryside. At one point, about 9 baboons ran across the road. It looked like we ran over one, but he made it by a hair.
     We arrived at Umbuzi at 9:10. They were very happy to see us.
      We got back to Xchicambane at around noontime. We ate some pap and soya with the other leaders. I was feeling extraordinarily tired, and went into my tent to lay down. As I have previously mentioned, it was HOT. I woke up two hours later and my sleeping bag was drenched with sweat. The rest of the afternoon was fairly uneventful. I read some, chatted some. One of the villagers brought some nuts over (don't remember the name; they were like no nut I've ever tasted). I started to chow down when Joseph said: "You know, those are only for married guys."
I gave him a confused look.
"What?"
Joseph is married. He likes being married. A lot. He likes to give me a hard time. I didn't eat anymore nuts for a while (after some more questioning, he said that's what they say to make sure THEY get all the nuts). I laughed.
Kenneth is also married (everybody here is except me). He said (after we had been sitting for a few hours): "Well Mistah David, why don't we take a walk down to the river." We walked the 2 km down as the sun was setting. I told him about my Dutchess years, and how much I had hated them at first, but was planning on returning once more, and the ministry I was planning on being involved with. We didn't quite make it to the river because it was getting to dark.
     Back at camp we had some curry and rice, perfectly complimented with cool cokes. We discussed theology for several hours before turning in. I mostly listened.

     We arose at 6 on Wednesday morning. Joseph and Kenneth returned to teaching, and Sean and I straightened out the orphan food and then broke camp. It was hot humid. Waiting for them to finish up the training, we sat under the large lapa outside. The children from the school had been invited to take part in lunch (more pap and soya). I showed them all the pictures on my ipod, then showed them Tetris, then played music for them. Sean had a greater. A camera. He took pictures and showed them themselves. It was time to pull out the artillery. I grabbed my videocamera and showed them video of themselves.
      We left Xchicambane around 2 and headed back to Umbuzi, arriving around 4. Sean, Joseph, and I set up camp while Kenneth started a fire to brai with. Oh was it good. Close to the best brai I've had since arriving. Chicken, vors, and potatoes. Around 8 different villagers started to drift over to the church building (four wood poles and a 75% completed grass roof). I was walking in from the latrine when Joseph said something to me: "David, they are waiting for you to preach".
"Say what?"
"They are waiting for you to preach."
"What do they want me to preach on?" (my heart had found itself up to my throat)
"Usually salvation or how to live a proper Christian life."
*gulp* "Well, I could do one on Galatians 5."
Kenneth arose and went over. "You know they're going hand it over to you if you go over there." Joseph told him. "I know it."
Needless to say, I didn't preach that night, but Joseph said "Next time I'm going to get you ready to preach.", so as of now, next time we're at Umbuzi (May), I'm preaching!
We sat slightly outside of camp (Joseph and I) and discussed many things. Kenneth and Sean came over, and the conversation turned once again to matters of theology.
Sleep eluded me to a degree Wednesday night as I had a pounding headache that was waking me up, but at 6 the next morning we completed our morning duties and made our way back to Pietersburg (I arrived back at 12:30).
Once again I've made my way into the bush!
I've learned much since arriving, and every Moz. trip I learn even more (even if it's just how much I don't know).

Missions can be incredibly frustrating and discouraging. When you spend weeks working on something that ultimately doesn't pan out, it's only more so. However, it's those times when we realize if we ARE actually willing to step out in faith and be used by God, even if circumstances are difficult and/or discouraging.


Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.- Colossians 3:23

4 comments:

L.E. Fiore said...

Ah, I love it. 'love hearing about your adventures- all that you're doing. God bless the work of your hands.

Natalie said...

Stumbled across your blog, and have had an awesome time reading about your time in Africa! Very interesting and encouraging. Can't wait to read more =D

David Scott Harris said...

Thank you for reading!
God has been very good to me!

Andrew and Denise said...

Thanks for catching us up... been praying and so exciting to see and hear all the things you are learning. Will be praying for your talk in May... that God will lead continue to lead you! take care of yourself, those lions pics are wonderful...Denise