Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Africa Update

Deciding to spend 6 months in Africa isn't a decision that one kind of comes to casually. I'm very aware of this. It took many days of walking around school with a blank stare on my face (because my mind was hard at work; it's weird I know, it's just what I do), and laying awake in bed many a night wondering what I should do. Well. I made the decision, and here I am. I arrived on January 21st, and now it's the 26th (got a little under 5 months before I'm "stateside" again). This Monday I'm traveling into the nearby country of Mozambique (looking at several trips there over these next few months). Today I traveled to the mission base for the organization I'm working with. I spent the day demolishing a bathroom. I know some might think after traveling 9,000 miles to a foreign place, "now I'm just doing manual labor?". However, I enjoyed it greatly... I don't know what it is exactly, but after months of working only for myself (though as believers we never really work only for ourselves), there is something magnificently joyous about using my own two hands to be a service to fellow believers. My greatest fear is still present however- it's my fear of not being useful. Sure, I'm here to learn (and the seminary classes are very instrumental in that department... so is watching people fix trucks), but I'm afraid of NOT being useful- just being a burden to those I've worked so hard these last couple of months to serve with. Matthew 19:29 says: "And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life." I realize what I've "left behind" to come here, but with the given verse above, I realize (even if it's slightly taken out of context), God WILL use me if I submit to Him- even if the use comes later from learning from THESE experiences.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update David! We will continue to pray for you as you do God's will.
Sarah Cookingham

Unknown said...

Good post David. It will be a lot more work to refinish it in the future - if you get good at it, maybe you can redo one of ours sometime
Dad

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update. We will continue to pray for you. Really enjoyed reading what you are doing in South Africa.

Bob and Nancy Poppo

Unknown said...

From your words flow the focus of your heart. Every time I hear you speak (or write) David I hear your hearts desire to live for and serve the Lord. I will continue to pray for you to be guided into the path that the Lord has planned for you. Have a great time and love the opportunity God has given you.
Jim Zieger

Anonymous said...

God Bless you David as you continue to serve the Lord. Thank you for your stand for Christ, and not being afraid to do hard things. Such a joy to see your godly example. I pray other young people back home will follow you as you follow Christ. Only what's done for Christ will last. Love In Christ, Chuck & Linda Walter

Unknown said...

David,

Thank you for the update. We are praying for you. Continue doing hard things for the Lord.

The Leak Family

Mom said...

David, Glad for the update! It seems my prayers are being answered for you in Africa...You are safe, you are doing the will of God and you are growing in wisdom and experience. Just remember that it is dangerous to go on a roof during a thunder storm, my doer of hard things!