Thursday, November 25, 2010

Meditations on Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Reformation Day, and Boyhood

      Yesterday I was walking through a building at my college to the student activities office. I wanted to submit my letter to the school newspaper, and as I was walking out I noticed a decoration that said "Happy Turkey Day". Turkey Day? Seriously, have we secularized Thanksgiving to the point that the only non-offensive aspect is eating turkey? (I might point out that this is offensive to vegetarians). I've lately noticed these discrepancies more blatantly than other years. Last month Reformation Day came around (on the same day as Halloween) and few of my Christian friends had heard of it, let alone secular acquaintances. I was disappointed. Two weeks later was another day that I grew up observing with religious dedication. Veterans Day. I actually went to school wearing a jacket and tie with a big American flag tie clip on it. When asked why, I replied "Why, it's Veterans Day! Respect!" I was disappointed when my school had no observance, nor did anyone else really remember it's occurrence on the 11th. Seeing the "Turkey Day" decoration made me come to a realization: I am the last of a dying breed.
       I guess it makes sense to go in order of the holidays: Halloween. We (my family and I) never really had any sort of formal celebration- we would go to a friends house and hand out tracts with candy. Mom might make sloppy joes since it was a tradition in her family. That was the extent of it. We knew about Reformation day, but we never really had much of a celebration of it until a few years ago when we first saw the film "Luther". Enjoying it very much, we started a informal tradition on Reformation Sunday that isn't really concrete, but we always discuss the Reformation, Luther, Calvin, Tyndale, so on and so fourth.
       Veterans Day. My grandfather loaded bombs onto B-25 Mitchells in the Pacific during World War Two, my great uncle died in the pacific, and several of my other relatives and close friends have served or are serving in the armed forces. Veterans Day was always a big deal. I began the day by getting out of bed and getting into to combat clothing, going outside, and running around our woods fighting Germans, Japanese, or Muslims (post-9-11). There has always been a ceremony down the street from where we live where my dad would give the invocation. We would always dress up and attend- I'd always get chills up my spine throughout the ceremony, and it ended by me walking up to veterans and thanking them for what they'd done for me.
      Thanksgiving. My parents are lovers of history. That's probably why my brother has a bachelors in it, and neither of us had to take any college classes in it (we took tests for credit instead). The story of Thanksgiving is one of the first stories we ever learned, and it was always crystal clear: Pilgrims leave England; Pilgrims come to America; Pilgrims suffer; Pilgrims overcome; Pilgrims give thanks to God for his providence (and invite Indians). Well, as I grew older I realized that what I was told was quite different than the beliefs of modern academia. They're version goes a little like this: Pilgrims are snobs, so they leave England; Pilgrims are stupid, so they starve; Pilgrims are bigots; Indians are saints; Indians help Pilgrims; Pilgrims have a feast to thank Indians for helping them. To celebrate this historical event we eat turkey on Thursday and go to bed early so we can get up early on Friday to spend ourselves in poverty. In MY home we had a traditional meal, went around the table and said what we were thankful to God for, and then watched Miracle on 34th Street (it's an old black and white movie my parents grew up watching).
      Now, I realize that not all families are the same, and culture shift isn't always a bad thing, but the state of our culture and especially the state of modern boyhood greatly concerns me. I teach Sunday school, and up until this semester I was an AWANA counselor working with 3rd and 4th grade boys. I was always sad to hear the lack of interesting things that the boys did. They watched TV, they played video games. I won't say that I didn't do either of those things when I was their ages, but I did a lot more, and I don't mean just playing sports. Here are some of the big differences I've noticed: Nowadays boys spend the majority of their free time looking at some sort of screen. When I was younger I spent the majority of my free time outdoors. The heroes of boys these days are predominately fictional (with the exception of athletes). My greatest heroes growing up were most all real people- Davey Crockett, Miles Standish, Jedediah Smith, George Washington, Martin Luther, etc.. Lately I've noticed that parents seem to be very strict in even letting their boys adventure through the woods and fields of our beautiful state. I guess it doesn't really matter because I'm not sure if they'd really have an interest anyway. When I was the same age I spent countless hours with friends back in the woods of our property building forts, playing with toy guns, and exploring. The last and most concerning for me is respect. Maybe it's just that I was smaller, but I definitely get the impression that when I attended Veterans/Memorial Day as a young boy, there were far more in attendance. I remember other boys my age who were brought by their parents because they wanted to instill a sense of respect for those have given their lives for us. Today I look around and there are so few who attendance, let alone boys.

    I very could be the last of a dying breed in the sense that America no longer values what I grew up valuing. I don't know what God's plan is for my life- whether he will give me a family and the opportunity to raise any boys of my own, but if He does, I know exactly the qualities I would hope for them to mirror- those that my parents instilled in me: namely respect. In the meantime I will encourage boys to get off the couch, play with some plastic soldiers, go build a fort, or just go on an adventure!

3 comments:

Roger said...

Hello David,
While I agree with you that America is pulling (or is being pulled away) from truth, its history and honor. I can say that you are not alone, nor are you o your generation the last... of a dying breed true enough, but not the last.
I am a Veteran, and I prefer to keep my head down and not be thanked for what I willingly gave... I fully recognize that is my preferrence, and my sons will thank Vet.s when they meet one, and when in a place like the DMV my sons will stand to allow an adult sit. My family has a long running history of military, and Christian service. We have had atleast one person in every generation serve in the military, and after serving I thank God my kids may have a non-enterable condition.
Like you I had a freedom that my children do not get to experience. My father was in the Army and we moved around, and I got to see many different areas, mostly in America and Germany. Even at extremely young ages I was allowed to wander around in the woods of my families 10 acre farm in Alabama (with mountain lions, wild dogs, coyotes, rattle snakes and people), the forests of Fort Drum (where my brother was friends with a young boy whose brother was in jail for being part of a group of young men that raped and kille a young girl/ woman... I am uncertain if my brother ever told my parents about his friends older brother), I had free range in Mannheim Germany, Hawaii and in North Carolina I knew almost every dirt road around were I lived. I built forts, jumped bikes, caught crawfish and shot slingshots at the local tough guys... When I look at my children and thank of what my parents allowed me to do, I have to wonder at their sanity...
There is a sexual offender detainment center not to far from where I now live. I am only 3 years in the area, my wife has been the victom of pediphiles, rape and sexual assult most of her life, and I will die before I allow it to happen to my children. In a state that now allows men "who feel like women in men's bodies" to go into the female bathrooms, I do not think the woods are all that safe.
Though I will admit that I do not get outside with my kids as much as they need to be. And for some reason, I have noticed that I can be very excited and happy leading up to a Holiday, but the day of is a totally different story. Though, I do not miss the chance to worship my God and Savior on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I also feel that Christians need to push that all non Christians who want to push for the removal of Christianity from our history and modern govnernment, need not to have a federal day off.

All and all I agree with what you say. As we draw closer to THE tribulation things are going to get closer to the days of Noah... My boys have an innocence I am commanded to protect, if that means they don't get to build forts, that is an exchange I am willing to take...
God bless you through out your life! and thanks for your honesty...
Sincerely,
Changed by His Grace

David Scott Harris said...

Thanks, I see where you're coming from with the whole "playing out in the woods", I may have just had an opportunity that a lot of kids my age never had.

Unknown said...

Good thoughts David...we will be praying for you when your grand adventure begins.