Monday, November 22, 2010

A Psalm of David (but not the Bible David)

I was sitting in world religions the other day... pretty board. The teacher was talking about Judaism-mostly Bible stories from the Old Testament. Although I was interested in the topic, I don't care for the professor all that much, and she's a might boring, so I looked down at the blank sheet of paper in front of me. She talked about David. David. "That's my name. It's also the name of my greatest Bible hero ('sides Jesus) whom after I was named. He also wrote psalms. Hmmm... my name's David, I wonder if I could write a psalm..."
So I tried to write a psalm 20 minutes before the end of World Religions. I kind of started with like one line and then kept going with it, so here's my final product:

Lord, give me the strength to serve you in humility;
For my flesh desires to boast
Give me the meekness to love others;
For left to myself I reap hate
Oh Lord my Lord, teach me your law!
That I may be equipped with for the work you would have me do
Show me where I err O Lord, that I may turn from my evil ways;
Oh Lord my God! Remove me from my earthly fear!
That I may be fearless in the declaration of Your mighty works;
Lord, give me the desires of Thine heart, not Mine

(I actually also made up a chord progression in 3/3 time: Am, F, Am, F, Am, F, G, C, Am, F, Am, F, G, C)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, you're a good blogger, because you actually blog. And, just to let you know, people actually read it.

David Scott Harris said...

who else 'sides u?? :)